About us...

We are a dad and daughter team biking from Lands End in mid May and hopefully ending 18 days and 1000 miles later in John O'Groats. Chris been training rides in the Chiltern hills, whilst Louise (who lives in Amsterdam) has had to make do with flatter terrain. We are doing this for the challenge and to raise money for the brilliant work of Thembalitsha UK. To sponsor us please click here.

Sunday 10 May 2009

The final count down

The ferry back to England is booked, the accommodation arranged and it’s starting to feel like there is no turning back. I have covered some miles over the past weekend, but still feel it’s not enough, especially on my gear-less town bike. I actually visited a cycle shop in Amsterdam this weekend. There wasn’t a padded pair of shorts in sight, just picnic baskets, sun hats and some umbrellas which can be attached to the handle bars of a bike. Not really what i had in mind.

Dad has been working his way through our route, updating it onto a bike GPS system, which is taking a painfully long time but saves lugging a lot of maps with us… although we might take some for back up! Other cool kit that I have picked up this weekend includes a pair of sunglasses with changeable lenses, the yellow lenses are wonderful as everything is ten times brighter. Might help wake me up in the mornings.

A few weeks back I met Anik See, at a clothes exchange party in Amsterdam. We got talking and I discovered that she is a writer who has cycled in countries all over the world. So this weekend I stopped by her house and she has lent me some kit and has given me a copy of her book, ‘A fork in the road’ which describes her bike adventures combined with stories of food from around the world. Bikes and food are probably two of my favourite things at the moment, so Anik’s book is coming with me on the trip for sure.

On the subject of reading matter I have searched the web for other Lands End – John O’Groats (lejog) blogs and found a great one from a couple of years back where two guys did the whole trip for free, relying on people’s hospitality and generosity and made a documentary about it on the way. Sounds like a good ‘credit crunch’ idea for a trip.

We are being put up by various hospitable people that we know along the way.... at some point, once dad has the route 'digitised', I will post up our itinerary.

No comments:

Post a Comment